From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Recovering from a faulty cassandra node
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2013 16:58:29 GMT
>  Not sure if I needed to change cassandra-topology.properties file on the existing nodes.
If you are using the PropertyFileSnitch all nodes need to have the same cassandra-topology.properties
file.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 21/03/2013, at 1:34 AM, Jabbar Azam <ajazam@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've added the node with a different IP address and after disabling the firewall data
is being streamed from the existing nodes to the wiped node. I'll do a cleanup, followed by
remove node once it's done.

> I've also added the new node to the existing nodes' cassandra-topology.properties file
and restarted them. I also found I had iptables switched on and couldn't understand why the
wiped node couldn't see the cluster. Not sure if I needed to change cassandra-topology.properties
file on the existing nodes.

else I guess nodetool decommission remains the good way to remove a node. (http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.2/references/nodetool)

> When this node is out, rm -rf /yourpath/cassandra/* on this serveur, change the configuration
if needed (not sure about the auto_bootstrap param) and start Cassandra on that node again.
It should join the ring as a new node.

> Good luck.
>

> 2013/3/19 Hiller, Dean <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov>
>
> Since you "cleared" out that node, it IS the replacement node.
>
> Dean
>
> From: Jabbar Azam <ajazam@gmail.com<mailto:ajazam@gmail.com>>
> Date: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:29 AM
> To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
> Subject: Re: Recovering from a faulty cassandra node
>
> Hello Dean.
>
> I'm using vnodes so can't specify a token. In addition I can't follow the replace node
docs because I don't have a replacement node.

> On 19 March 2013 15:25, Hiller, Dean <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov<mailto:Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov>>
wrote:
> I have not done this as of yet but from all that I have read your best option is to follow
the replace node documentation which I belive you need to

>  1.  Have the token be the same BUT add 1 to it so it doesn't think it's the same computer
>  2.  Have the bootstrap option set or something so streaming takes affect.
>
> I would however test that all out in QA to make sure it works and if you have QUOROM
reads/writes a good part of that test would be to take node X down after your node Y is back
in the cluster to make sure reads/writes are working on the node you fixed…..you just need
to make sure node X shares one of the token ranges of node Y AND your writes/reads are in
that token range.

> Dean
>
> From: Jabbar Azam <ajazam@gmail.com<mailto:ajazam@gmail.com><mailto:ajazam@gmail.com<mailto:ajazam@gmail.com>>>
> Date: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:51 AM
> To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org><mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>"
<user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org><mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>>
> Subject: Recovering from a faulty cassandra node
>
> Hello,
>
> I am using Cassandra 1.2.2 on a 4 node test cluster with vnodes. I waited for over a
week to insert lots of data into the cluster. During the end of the process one of the nodes
had a hardware fault.

> I have fixed the hardware fault but the filing system on that node is corrupt so I'll
have to reinstall the OS and cassandra.