From <cscetbon....@orange.com>
Subject Re: recv_describe_keyspace bug in org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra ?
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:52:38 GMT
No one else concerned by the fact that we must define the column families the old way to access
it with Pig ?
Is there a way to have the column family defined the new way in a DC and the old way (WITH
COMPACT STORAGE) in another DC ?

Thanks
--
Cyril SCETBON
Expert bases de données

Tél : +33 (0)4 97 46 29 56
France Telecom - Orange
790 Avenue du Docteur Maurice Donat
Bâtiment Marco Polo C1
Bureau 406
06251 Mougins
France

On Mar 20, 2013, at 9:59 AM, cscetbon.ext@orange.com wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2013, at 5:21 AM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
>
>> By design. There may be a plan to change in the future, I'm not aware of one though.

> bad news. If someone else has more information about that, don't hesitate !
> Do you know how hard it would be to change this behaviour ? to not skip tables without
compact storage format

>> CQL 3 tables created without COMPACT STORAGE store all keys and columns using Composite
Types. They also store some additional columns you may not expect.
> I suppose that if we are aware of that we can take it into account. And that's the job
of the Pig script to take  only the columns it wants

>> If you want to interrop with thrift based API's like PIG it's best to use COMPACT
STORAGE.
> yes, but it means that I must recreate tables in production, and that rows will be stored
in a single column on disk which may hurt performance. It's said in the documentation that
this format is an old one that should be avoided. I suppose there are other issues with it
that could  be found ??

>> You can always create CF's the old way using the cassandra-cli.
>
> Regards
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> -----------------
>> Aaron Morton
>> Freelance Cassandra Consultant
>> New Zealand
>>
>> @aaronmorton
>> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>>
>> On 20/03/2013, at 12:09 AM, cscetbon.ext@orange.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm testing Pig (0.11) with Cassandra (1.2.2). I've noticed that when the column
family is created without WITH COMPACT STORAGE clause, Pig can't find it :(
>>> After searching in the code, I've found that the issue comes from the function
recv_describe_keyspace. This function returns a KsDef with an empty cf_defs array when there
is no column family with COMPACT STORAGE clause. I conclude that all column families that
must be accessed by Pig must be defined with this storage clause, but I wandering if it is
a bug ? I suppose ..

>>> Thanks.
>>> --
>>> Cyril SCETBON
>>>
>>> _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>>>
>>> Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles
ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc
>>> pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez recu ce
>>> a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages electroniques
etant susceptibles d'alteration,
>>> France Telecom - Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere,
deforme ou falsifie. Merci.

>>> This message and its attachments may contain confidential or privileged information
that may be protected by law;
>>> they should not be distributed, used or copied without authorisation.
>>> If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete
this message and its attachments.
>>> As emails may be altered, France Telecom - Orange is not liable for messages
that have been modified, changed or falsified.
>>> Thank you.

> Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles ou
privilegiees et ne doivent donc
> pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez recu ce message
par erreur, veuillez le signaler
> a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages electroniques
etant susceptibles d'alteration,
> France Telecom - Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme
ou falsifie. Merci.

> This message and its attachments may contain confidential or privileged information that
may be protected by law;
> If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this message
and its attachments.
> As emails may be altered, France Telecom - Orange is not liable for messages that have
been modified, changed or falsified.
> Thank you.

et ne doivent donc
erreur, veuillez le signaler
susceptibles d'alteration,
France Telecom - Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou
falsifie. Merci.

be protected by law;
and its attachments.