From Wei Zhu <wz1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Size Tiered -> Leveled Compaction
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2013 18:11:49 GMT
I have the same wonder.
We started with the default 5M and the compaction after repair takes too long on 200G node,
so we increase the size to 10M sort of arbitrarily since there is not much documentation around
it. Our tech op team still thinks there are too many files in one directory. To fulfill the
guidelines from them (don't remember the exact number, but something in the range of 50K files),
we will need to increase the size to around 50M. I think the latency of  opening one file
is not impacted much by the number of files in one directory for the modern file system. But
"ls" and other operations suffer.

Anyway, I asked about the side effect of the bigger SSTable in IRC, someone was mentioning
during read, C* reads the whole SSTable from disk in order to access the row which causes
more disk IO compared with the smaller SSTable. I don't know enough about the internal of
the Cassandra, not sure whether it's the case or not. If that is the case (with question mark)
, the SSTable or the row is kept in the memory? Hope someone can confirm the theory here.
Or I have to dig in to the source code to find it.

Another concern is during repair, does it stream the whole SSTable or the partial of it when
mismatch is detected? I see the claim for both, can someone please confirm also?

The last thing is the effectiveness of the parallel LCS on 1.2. It takes quite some time for
the compaction to finish after repair for LCS for 1.1.X. Both CPU and disk Util is low during
the compaction which means LCS doesn't fully utilized resource.  It will make the life easier
if the issue is addressed in 1.2.

Bottom line is that there is not much documentation/guideline/successful story around LCS
although it sounds beautiful on paper.

Thanks.
-Wei