From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Many to one type of replication.
Date Sun, 24 Mar 2013 17:03:09 GMT
> From this mailing list I found this Github project that is doing something similar by
looking at the commit logs: https://github.com/carloscm/cassandra-commitlog-extract
IMHO tailing the logs is fragile, and you may be better off handling it at the application
level.

> But is there other options around using a custom replication strategy?
There is no such thing as "one directional" replication. For example replication everything
from DC 1 to DC 2, but do not replicate from DC 2 to DC 1.
You may be better off reducing the number of clusters and then running one transactional and
one analytical DC.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 24/03/2013, at 3:42 AM, Francois Richard <frichard@xobni.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We currently run our Cassandra deployment with multiple independent clusters.  The clusters
are totally self contain in terms of redundancy and independent from each others.  We have
a "sharding "layer higher in our stack to dispatch the requests to the right application stack
and this stack connects to his associated Cassandra cluster. All the cassandra clusters are
identical in terms of hosted keyspaces, column families, replication factor ...

> At this point I am investigating ways to build a central cassandra cluster that could
contain all the data from all the other cassandra clusters and I am wondering how to best
do it.  The goal is to have a global view of our data and to be able to do some massive crunching
on it.

> For sure we can build some ETL type of job that would figure out the data that was updated,
extract it, and load it to the central cassandra cluster.  From this mailing list I found