No I did not look at nodetool gossipinfo but from the ring on both pre-upgrade and post upgrade nodes to 1.2.1, what I observed was the described behavior.

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 1:26 AM, Michael Kjellman <mkjellman@barracuda.com> wrote:
This was a bug with 1.2.0 but resolved in 1.2.1. Did you take a capture of nodetool gossipinfo and nodetool ring by chance?

On Feb 23, 2013, at 12:26 AM, "Arya Goudarzi" <goudarzi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi C* users,
>
> I just upgrade a 12 node test cluster from 1.1.6 to 1.2.1. What I noticed from nodetool ring was that the new upgraded nodes only saw each other as Normal and the rest of the cluster which was on 1.1.6 as Down. Vise versa was true for the nodes running 1.1.6. They saw each other as Normal but the 1.2.1 nodes as down. I don't see a note in upgrade docs that this would be an issue. Has anyone else observed this problem?
>
> In the debug logs I could see messages saying attempting to connect to node IP and then saying it is down.
>
> Cheers,
> -Arya

Copy, by Barracuda, helps you store, protect, and share all your amazing

things. Start today: www.copy.com.