"Can you point to the docs."

http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/configuration/storage_configuration#max-compaction-threshold

And thanks about the rest of your answers, once again ;-).

Alain

2013/2/16 aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com>
 Is that a feature that could possibly be developed one day ?
No.
Timestamps are essentially internal implementation used to resolve different values for the same column.

With "min_compaction_level_threshold" did you mean "min_compaction_threshold"  ? If so, why should I do that, what are the advantage/inconvenient of reducing this value ?
Yes, min_compaction_threshold, my bad.
If you have a wide row and delete a lot of values you will end up with a lot of tombstones. These may dramatically reduce the read performance until they are purged. Reducing the compaction threshold makes compaction happen more frequently.

Looking at the doc I saw that: "max_compaction_threshold: Ignored in Cassandra 1.1 and later.". How to ensure that I'll always keep a small amount of SSTables then ?
AFAIK it's not.
There may be some confusion about the location of the settings in CLI vs CQL.
Can you point to the docs.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer