Hi Edward - thanks for responding.   The keyspace could not have been created more simply:

create keyspace KEYSPACE_NAME;

According to the help, this should have created a replication factor of 1:

Keyspace Attributes (all are optional):

- placement_strategy: Class used to determine how replicas

  are distributed among nodes. Defaults to NetworkTopologyStrategy with

  one datacenter defined with a replication factor of 1 ("[datacenter1:1]").

Steve