I need to offer my profound thanks to this community which has been so helpful in trying to figure this system out.

I’ve setup a simple ring with two nodes and I’m trying to insert data to them.  I get failures 100% with this error:

me.prettyprint.hector.api.exceptions.HUnavailableException: : May not be enough replicas present to handle consistency level.

I’m not doing anything fancy – this is just from setting up the cluster following the basic instructions from datastax for a simple one data center cluster.  My config is basically the default except for the changes they discuss (except that I have configured for my IP addresses… my two boxes are .126 and .127)

cluster_name: 'MyDemoCluster'

num_tokens: 256

  - class_name: org.apache.cassandra.locator.SimpleSeedProvider

         - seeds: ""

endpoint_snitch: RackInferringSnitch

Nodetool shows both nodes active in the ring, status = up, state = normal.

For the CF:

   ColumnFamily: SystemEvent

     Key Validation Class: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type

     Default column value validator: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type

     Columns sorted by: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type

     GC grace seconds: 864000

     Compaction min/max thresholds: 4/32

     Read repair chance: 0.1

     DC Local Read repair chance: 0.0

     Replicate on write: true

     Caching: KEYS_ONLY

     Bloom Filter FP chance: default

     Built indexes: [SystemEvent.IdxName]

     Column Metadata:

       Column Name: eventTimeStamp

         Validation Class: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.DateType

       Column Name: name

         Validation Class: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type

         Index Name: IdxName

         Index Type: KEYS

     Compaction Strategy: org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.SizeTieredCompactionStrategy

     Compression Options:

       sstable_compression: org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.SnappyCompressor

Any ideas?