Also, what is particular reason to use Oracle JDK over Open JDK? Sorry, I could not find this information online.

From: Michael Kjellman []
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 7:29 AM
Subject: Re: Why do Datastax docs recommend Java 6?

There have been tons of threads/convos on this.

In the early days of Java 7 it was pretty unstable and there was pretty much no convincing reason to use Java 7 over Java 6.

Now that Java 7 has stabilized and Java 6 is EOL it's a reasonable decision to use Java 7 and we do it in production with no issues to speak of.

That being said there was one potential situation we've seen as a community where bootstrapping new node was using 3x more CPU and getting significantly less throughput. However, reproducing this consistently never happened AFAIK.

I think until more people use Java 7 in production and prove it doesn't cause any additional bugs/performance issues Datastax will update their docs. Until now I'd say it's a safe bet to use Java 7 with Vanilla C* 1.2.1. I hope this helps!