From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra 1.1.2 -> 1.1.8 upgrade
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2013 20:27:47 GMT
I would do #1.

You can play with nodetool setcompactionthroughput to speed things up, but beware nothing
comes for free.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 10/02/2013, at 6:40 AM, Mike <mtheroux2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you,
>
> Another question on this topic.
>
> Upgrading from 1.1.2->1.1.9 requires running upgradesstables, which will take many
hours on our dataset (about 12).  For this upgrade, is it recommended that I:

> 1) Upgrade all the DB nodes to 1.1.9 first, then go around the ring and run a staggered
upgrade of the sstables over a number of days.
> 2) Upgrade one node at a time, running the clustered in a mixed 1.1.2->1.1.9 configuration
for a number of days.

> I would prefer #1, as with #2, streaming will not work until all the nodes are upgraded.
>
> I appreciate your thoughts,
> -Mike
>
> On 1/16/2013 11:08 AM, Jason Wee wrote:
>> always check NEWS.txt for instance for cassandra 1.1.3 you need to run nodetool upgradesstables
if your cf has counter.

>> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 11:58 PM, Mike <mtheroux2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are looking to upgrade our Cassandra cluster from 1.1.2 -> 1.1.8 (or possibly
1.1.9 depending on timing).  It is my understanding that rolling upgrades of Cassandra is
supported, so as we upgrade our cluster, we can do so one node at a time without experiencing
downtime.