From Michael Kjellman <mkjell...@barracuda.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra with SAN
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2013 23:11:38 GMT
No, this is a really really bad idea and C* was not designed for this, in fact, it was designed
so you don't need to have a large expensive SAN.

Don't be tempted by the shiny expensive SAN. :)

If money is no object instead throw SSD's in your nodes and run 10G between racks

From: Kanwar Sangha <kanwar@mavenir.com<mailto:kanwar@mavenir.com>>
Date: Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:56 PM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Cassandra with SAN

Hi – Is it a good idea to use Cassandra with SAN ?  Say a SAN which provides me 8 Petabytes
of storage. Would I not be I/O bound irrespective of the no of Cassandra machines and scaling
by adding
machines won’t help ?

Thanks
Kanwar

Copy, by Barracuda, helps you store, protect, and share all your amazing
things. Start today: www.copy.com.