From "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hil...@nrel.gov>
Subject Re: cassandra vs. mongodb quick question(good additional info)
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2013 20:20:08 GMT
Heh, we just discovered that mistake a few minutes ago….thanks though.  I am now wondering
and may run a test cluster with a separate 6 nodes and test how compaction is on very large
data sets and such.  We have tons of research data that sits there so I am wondering if 20T
/ node is now feasible with cassandra(I mean if mongodb has a 42T which 10gen was telling
my colleague, I would think we can with cassandra).

Is there any reasons I should know up front that 20T per node won't work.  We have 20 disks
per node and this definitely has a different profile than previous cassandra systems I have
setup.  We don't need really any caching as disk access is typically fine on reads.

Thanks,
Dean

From: Bryan Talbot <btalbot@aeriagames.com<mailto:btalbot@aeriagames.com>>
Date: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:04 PM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: cassandra vs. mongodb quick question(good additional info)

This calculation is incorrect btw.  10,000 GB transferred at 1.25 GB / sec would complete
in about 8,000 seconds which is just 2.2 hours and not 5.5 days.  The error is in the conversion
(1hr/60secs) which is off by 2 orders of magnitude since (1hr/3600secs) is the correct conversion.

-Bryan

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Hiller, Dean <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov<mailto:Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov>>