From Henrik Schröder <>
Subject Re: Testing compaction strategies on a single production server?
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2013 17:28:52 GMT
Well, that answer didn't really help. I know how to make a survey node, and
I know how to simulate reads to it, it's just that that's a lot of work,
and I wouldn't be sure that the simulated load is the same as the
production load.

We gather a lot of metrics from our production servers, so we know exactly
how they perform over long periods of time. Changing a single server to run
a different compaction strategy would allow us to know in detail how a
different strategy would impact the cluster.

So, is it possible to modify org.apache.cassandra.db.[keyspace].[column
family].CompactionStrategyClass through jmx on a production server without
any ill effects? Or is this only possible to do on a survey node while it
is in a specific state?

View raw message