From Jean-Armel Luce <jaluc...@gmail.com>
Subject Adding new nodes in a cluster with virtual nodes
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2013 14:44:55 GMT
Hello,

We are using Cassandra 1.2.0.
We have a cluster of 16 physical nodes, each node has 256 virtual nodes.
We want to add 2 new nodes in our cluster : we follow the procedure as
explained here :
http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.2/operations/add_replace_nodes.

After starting 1 of the new node, we can see that this new node has 256
tokens ==>looks good
We can see that this node is in the ring (using nodetool status) ==> looks
good
After the bootstrap is finished in the new node, no data has been moved
automatically from the old nodes to this new node.

However, when we send insert queries in our cluster, the new node accepts
to insert the new rows.

Please, could you tell me if we need to perform a nodetool repair after the
bootstrap of the new node ?
What happens if we perform a nodetool cleanup in the old nodes before doing
the nodetool repair ? (Is there a risk of loosing some data ?)

Regards.

Jean Armel