From Sergey Leschenko <sergle...@gmail.com>
Subject Upgrade from 0.6.x to 1.2.x
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2013 11:41:23 GMT
Hi, all

I'm trying to update our old version 0.6.5 to current 1.2.1
All nodes has been drained and stopped. Proper cassandra.yaml created,
schema file prepared.

Trying to start version 1.2.1 on the one node  (full output attached to email):
ERROR 11:12:44,530 Exception encountered during startup
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.SystemTable.upgradeSystemData(SystemTable.java:161)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.SystemTable.finishStartup(SystemTable.java:107)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.setup(CassandraDaemon.java:276)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.activate(CassandraDaemon.java:370)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:413)
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.SystemTable.upgradeSystemData(SystemTable.java:161)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.SystemTable.finishStartup(SystemTable.java:107)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.setup(CassandraDaemon.java:276)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.activate(CassandraDaemon.java:370)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:413)
Exception encountered during startup: null

On the next attempts daemon started, but still with AssertionErrors

Question 1 - is it possible start the new version from the first attempt?

Then I loaded schema via cassandra-cli, and run nodetool scrub - which
caused a big number of  warnings in log:
   OutputHandler.java (line 52) Index file contained a different key
or row size; using key from data file

storage-conf.xml from 0.6.5 has column family defined as
   <ColumnFamily Name="Invoices" CompareWith="BytesType"/>
for 1.2.1 I used
  create column family Invoices with column_type = 'Standard' and
comparator = 'BytesType';

Question 2 - how to get rid of these warnings? Are they connected to
column family definition?

Thanks

--
Sergey