From Jared Biel <jared.b...@bolderthinking.com>
Subject Re: Nodetool doesn't shows two nodes
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2013 04:54:18 GMT
This is something that I found while using the multi-region snitch -
it uses public IPs for communication. See the original ticket here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2452. It'd be nice if
it used the private IPs to communicate with nodes that are in the same
region as itself, but I do not believe this is the case. Be aware that
you will be charged for external data transfer even for nodes in the
same region because the traffic will not fall under their free (for
same AZ) or reduced (for intra-AZ) tiers.

If you continue using this snitch in the mean time, it is not
necessary (or recommended) to have those ports open to 0.0.0.0/0.
You'll simply need to add the public IPs of your C* servers to the
correct security group(s) to allow access.

There's something else that's a little strange about the EC2 snitches:
"us-east-1" is (incorrectly) represented as the datacenter "us-east".
Other regions are recognized and named properly (us-west-2 for
example) This is kind-of covered in the ticket here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-4026 I wish it could
be fixed properly.

Good luck!