From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: disabling bloomfilter not working? or did I do this wrong?
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2013 13:47:47 GMT
Mostly but not 100%. You have a bloom filter for each sstable, so
"going to disk" means finding the row in each sstable if you end up
skipping some you are better off. Sometimes you have the data but not
in sstable N. The bloom filter helps avoid checking sstable N to find
nothing.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Hiller, Dean <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov> wrote:
> Hmmmm, I thought bloomfilters only help on missing rows.  Any time we look up a row,
we know it is there in our case as it would not be in the other table.  I would say statistically
99.9% of the time the row is there and we are okay with 0.1% of the time wasting hitting the
disk.

> Do I have this correct though?  Bloomfilters really only help me if the data is not there
so I don't have to go to the disk and find that out.

> Thanks,
> Dean
>
> From: aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com<mailto:aaron@thelastpickle.com>>
> Date: Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:09 PM
> To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
> Subject: Re: disabling bloomfilter not working? or did I do this wrong?
>
> Yeah, disabling completely is probably not great.
> There is some wriggle room between disabled and "less memory"
>
> Did I link to this bloom filter calculator ? http://hur.st/bloomfilter also https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/utils/BloomCalculations.java
>
> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Developer
> New Zealand
>
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 23/02/2013, at 12:10 PM, Bryan Talbot <btalbot@aeriagames.com<mailto:btalbot@aeriagames.com>>
wrote:

> I see from your read and write count that your nreldata CF has nearly equal number of
reads as writes.  I would expect that disabling your bloom filter is going to hurt your read
performance quite a bit.

> Also, beware that disabling your bloom filter may also cause tombstoned rows to never
be deleted, so if you delete all columns explicitly or use TTL, your data may grow more than
your expect.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-5182

> -Bryan
>

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Hiller, Dean <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov<mailto:Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov>>
wrote:
> Thanks, but I found out it is still running.  It looks like I have about a 5 hour wait
left for my upgradesstables(waited 4 hours already).  I will check the bloomfilter after that.

> Out of curiosity, if I had much wider rows (ie. < 900k) per row, will compaction run
faster(errrr…upgradesstables) at all or would it basically run at the same speed.