From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra 1.1.2 -> 1.1.8 upgrade
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 17:24:00 GMT
> Can anyone know the impact of not running upgrade sstables? Or possible not running it
for several days?
nodetool repair will not work.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 12/02/2013, at 11:54 AM, Mike <mtheroux2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So the upgrade sstables is recommended as part of the upgrade to 1.1.3 if you are using
counter columns

> Also, there was a general recommendation (in another response to my question) to run
upgrade sstables because of:

> "upgradesstables always needs to be done between majors. While 1.1.2 -> 1.1.8 is not
a major, due to an unforeseen bug in the conversion to microseconds you'll need to run upgradesstables."

> Is this referring to: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-4432
>
> Can anyone know the impact of not running upgrade sstables? Or possible not running it
for several days?

> Thanks,
> -Mike
>
> On 2/10/2013 3:27 PM, aaron morton wrote:
>> I would do #1.
>>
>> You can play with nodetool setcompactionthroughput to speed things up, but beware
nothing comes for free.

>> Cheers
>>
>> -----------------
>> Aaron Morton
>> Freelance Cassandra Developer
>> New Zealand
>>
>> @aaronmorton
>> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>>
>> On 10/02/2013, at 6:40 AM, Mike <mtheroux2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Another question on this topic.
>>>
>>> Upgrading from 1.1.2->1.1.9 requires running upgradesstables, which will take
many hours on our dataset (about 12).  For this upgrade, is it recommended that I:

>>> 1) Upgrade all the DB nodes to 1.1.9 first, then go around the ring and run a
staggered upgrade of the sstables over a number of days.
>>> 2) Upgrade one node at a time, running the clustered in a mixed 1.1.2->1.1.9
configuration for a number of days.

>>> I would prefer #1, as with #2, streaming will not work until all the nodes are
upgraded.

>>> I appreciate your thoughts,
>>> -Mike

upgradesstables if your cf has counter.

possibly 1.1.9 depending on timing).  It is my understanding that rolling upgrades of Cassandra
is supported, so as we upgrade our cluster, we can do so one node at a time without experiencing
downtime.

 Can everything remain as-is?