From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Data Model - Additional Column Families or one CF?
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2013 17:26:42 GMT
If you have a limited / known number (say < 30)  of types, I would create a CF for each
of them.

If the number of types is unknown or very large I would have one CF with the row key you described.

Generally I avoid data models that require new CF's as the data grows. Additionally having
different CF's allows you to use different cache settings, compactions settings and even storage
mediums.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 21/02/2013, at 7:43 AM, Adam Venturella <aventurella@gmail.com> wrote:

> My data needs only require me to store JSON, and I can handle this in 1 column family
by prefixing row keys with a type, for example:

> comments:{message_id}
>
> Where comments: represents the prefix and {message_id} represents some row key to a message
object in the same column family.

> In this case comments:{message_id} would be a wide row using comment creation time and
descending clustering order to sort the messages as they are added.

> My question is, would I be better off splitting comments into their own Column Family
or is storing them in with the Messages Column Family sufficient, they are all messages after
all.