From aaron morton <>
Subject Re: Data Model - Additional Column Families or one CF?
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2013 17:26:42 GMT
If you have a limited / known number (say < 30)  of types, I would create a CF for each
of them.

If the number of types is unknown or very large I would have one CF with the row key you described.

Generally I avoid data models that require new CF's as the data grows. Additionally having
different CF's allows you to use different cache settings, compactions settings and even storage

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

On 21/02/2013, at 7:43 AM, Adam Venturella <> wrote:

> My data needs only require me to store JSON, and I can handle this in 1 column family
by prefixing row keys with a type, for example:
> comments:{message_id}
> Where comments: represents the prefix and {message_id} represents some row key to a message
object in the same column family.
> In this case comments:{message_id} would be a wide row using comment creation time and
descending clustering order to sort the messages as they are added.
> My question is, would I be better off splitting comments into their own Column Family
or is storing them in with the Messages Column Family sufficient, they are all messages after
> Or do Column Families really just provide a nice organizational front for data. I'm just
storing JSON.

View raw message