From S C <as...@outlook.com>
Subject RE: Question on Cassandra Snapshot
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:41:38 GMT
I appreciate any advise or pointers on this.
Thanks in advance.

From: asf11@outlook.com
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Question on Cassandra Snapshot
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 20:47:14 -0600

I have been looking at incremental backups and snapshots. I have done some experimentation
but could not come to a conclusion. Can somebody please help me understanding it right?
/data is my data partition
With incremental_backup turned OFF in Cassandra.yaml - Are all SSTables are under /data/TestKeySpace/ColumnFamily
at all times?With incremental_backup turned ON in cassandra.yaml - Are current SSTables under
/data/TestKeySpace/ColumnFamily/ with a hardlink to /data/TestKeySpace/ColumnFamily/backups?
Lets say I have taken snapshot and moved the /data/TestKeySpace/ColumnFamily/snapshots/<snapshot-name>/*.db
to tape, at what point should I be backing up *.db files from /data/TestKeySpace/ColumnFamily/backups
directory. Also, should I be deleting the *.db files whose inode matches with the files in
the snapshot? Is that a correct approach? I noticed /data/TestKeySpace/ColumnFamily/snapshots/<timestamp>-ColumnFamily/
what are these <timestamp> directories?
Thanks in advance. SC