From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra with SAN
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2013 00:08:22 GMT
I shouldn't have used the word "spinning"... SSDs are a great option as well.

I also agree with all the "expensive SPOF" points others have made.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 21, 2013, at 6:56 PM, "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgoetz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Cassandra is designed to write and read data in a way that is optimized for physical
spinning disks.

> Running C* on a SAN introduces a layer of abstraction that, at best negates those optimizations,
and at worst introduces additional overhead.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 21, 2013, at 6:42 PM, Kanwar Sangha <kanwar@mavenir.com> wrote:
>
>> Ok. What would be the drawbacks J

was designed so you don't need to have a large expensive SAN.

>> Don't be tempted by the shiny expensive SAN. :)
>>
>> If money is no object instead throw SSD's in your nodes and run 10G between racks
>>
>> From: Kanwar Sangha <kanwar@mavenir.com>
>> Date: Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:56 PM
>> To: "user@cassandra.apache.org" <user@cassandra.apache.org>
>> Subject: Cassandra with SAN
>>
>> Hi – Is it a good idea to use Cassandra with SAN ?  Say a SAN which provides me
8 Petabytes of storage. Would I not be I/O bound irrespective of the no of Cassandra machines
and scaling by adding

Start today: www.copy.com.