From Drew Kutcharian <d...@venarc.com>
Subject Re: Operation Consideration with Counter Column Families
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 04:22:39 GMT
For anyone interested, I came across this video where Sylvain explains how counters are actually
implemented in Cassandra.

http://vimeo.com/26011102

On Feb 6, 2013, at 8:08 PM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:

>> Thanks Aaron, so will there only be one "value" for each counter column per sstable
just like regular columns?
> Yes.
>
>>  For some reason I was under the impression that Cassandra keeps a log of all the
increments not the actual value.
> Not as far as I understand.
>
> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Developer
> New Zealand
>
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 6/02/2013, at 11:15 AM, Drew Kutcharian <drew@venarc.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Aaron, so will there only be one "value" for each counter column per sstable
just like regular columns? For some reason I was under the impression that Cassandra keeps
a log of all the increments not the actual value.

>>> Performance, as they incur a read and a write.
>>> There were some issues with overcounts in log replay (see the changes.txt).

>>> Same as regular CF's.

>>> None.
>>>
>>> Cheers

>>> Aaron Morton
>>> Freelance Cassandra Developer
>>> New Zealand
>>>
>>> @aaronmorton
>>> http://www.thelastpickle.com

counter columns families? How are counter column families stored on disk? How do they effect
compaction?