From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Operation Consideration with Counter Column Families
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2013 04:08:24 GMT
> Thanks Aaron, so will there only be one "value" for each counter column per sstable just
like regular columns?
Yes.

>  For some reason I was under the impression that Cassandra keeps a log of all the increments
not the actual value.
Not as far as I understand.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 6/02/2013, at 11:15 AM, Drew Kutcharian <drew@venarc.com> wrote:

> Thanks Aaron, so will there only be one "value" for each counter column per sstable just
like regular columns? For some reason I was under the impression that Cassandra keeps a log
of all the increments not the actual value.

> On Feb 5, 2013, at 12:36 PM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
>
>>> Are there any specific operational considerations one should make when using
counter columns families?
>> Performance, as they incur a read and a write.
>> There were some issues with overcounts in log replay (see the changes.txt).
>>
>>>  How are counter column families stored on disk?
>> Same as regular CF's.
>>
>>> How do they effect compaction?
>> None.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> -----------------
>> Aaron Morton
>> Freelance Cassandra Developer
>> New Zealand
>>
>> @aaronmorton
>> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>>
>> On 6/02/2013, at 7:47 AM, Drew Kutcharian <drew@venarc.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Guys,
>>>
>>> Are there any specific operational considerations one should make when using
counter columns families? How are counter column families stored on disk? How do they effect
compaction?