From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: BloomFilter
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2013 17:04:44 GMT
> 1) What is the ratio of the sstable file size to bloom filter size ? If i have a sstable
of 1 GB, what is the approximate bloom filter size ? Assuming
> 0.000744 default val configured.
The size of the bloom filter varies with the number of rows in the CF, not the on disk size.
More correctly it's the number of rows in each SSTable as a row can be stored in multiple
sstables.

nodetool cfstats reports the total bloom filter size for each cf.

> 2) The bloom filters are stored in RAM but not in help from 1.2 onwards ?
They are always in RAM. Pre 1.2 they were stored in the JVM heap, from 1.2 onwards they are
stored off heap.

> 3) What is the ratio of the RAM/Disk per node ?  What is the max disk size recommended
for 1 node ? If I have 10 TB of data per node, how much RAM will the bloomfilter consume ?
If you are using a spinning disk (HDD) and have 1GB networking, I would consider 300GB to
500GB a good rule of thumb for a small <6 node cluster.

There issues have to do with the time it takes to run nodetool repair, and the time it takes
to replace a failed node. Once you have a feel for how long this takes you may want to put
more data on each node.

In 1.2 there are things that make replacing a node faster, but they tend to kick in at higher
node counts.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer