From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: found bottleneck but can we do these steps?
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2013 02:05:12 GMT
> 1.When I restart the node, will gossip/thrift stay off ???
No.
If you change it via node tool it will restart at start up.
In pre 1.2 add these jvm startup params

-Dcassandra.join_ring=false
-Dcassandra.start_rpc=false

> 2.Hmmmm, is there any way to run upgradesstables when cassandra is not running AND crank
up the memory of nodetool to 8G or does nodetool always  just tell cassandra to do it????
Start without gossip and thrift as above.
Or monkey the iptables to block 9160 and 7000

>  I feel like I have a chicken and egg problem here.
Buck buck buckerk :)

>  I want to clean up this bloomfilter which requires upgradesstables(from what I read),
but I need the bloomfilter to not be there so I am not bottlenecked by the memory.
Remove all saved caches, start with rpc and gossip disable above, and a 12GB heap, disable
compaction throttling, then run upgrade tables.

Hope that helps, buck buck.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 23/02/2013, at 9:56 AM, "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov> wrote:

> So, it turns out we don't have enough I/o going on for our upgradesstables but it is
really hitting the upper bounds of memory(8G) and our cpu is pretty low as well.

> At any rate, we are trying to remove a 2 gig bloomfilter on a columnfamily.  Can we do
the following

> 1.  Disable thrift/gossip (per previous emails)
> 2.  Restart the node?  (any way to restart it without reading in that bloomfilter to
lesson the memory……should I temporarily turn up the node without the key cache maybe)
> 3.  Run nodetool upgradesstables databus5 nreldata;
>
> 1.When I restart the node, will gossip/thrift stay off ??? Or do I change the seeds,
change 9160 to xxxx and I don't see where I can change 7199 to something?  (how to do this
safely).
> 2.Hmmmm, is there any way to run upgradesstables when cassandra is not running AND crank
up the memory of nodetool to 8G or does nodetool always  just tell cassandra to do it????

>  I feel like I have a chicken and egg problem here.  I want to clean up this bloomfilter
which requires upgradesstables(from what I read), but I need the bloomfilter to not be there
so I am not bottlenecked by the memory.  At this rate, I will have to do each node each day
for 6 days before I can recover (and I would prefer to speed it up just a little).