From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: disabling bloomfilter not working? or did I do this wrong?
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2013 02:09:29 GMT
Yeah, disabling completely is probably not great.
There is some wriggle room between disabled and "less memory"

Did I link to this bloom filter calculator ? http://hur.st/bloomfilter also https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/utils/BloomCalculations.java

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 23/02/2013, at 12:10 PM, Bryan Talbot <btalbot@aeriagames.com> wrote:

> I see from your read and write count that your nreldata CF has nearly equal number of
reads as writes.  I would expect that disabling your bloom filter is going to hurt your read
performance quite a bit.

> Also, beware that disabling your bloom filter may also cause tombstoned rows to never
be deleted, so if you delete all columns explicitly or use TTL, your data may grow more than
your expect.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-5182

> -Bryan
>

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Hiller, Dean <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov> wrote:
> Thanks, but I found out it is still running.  It looks like I have about a 5 hour wait
left for my upgradesstables(waited 4 hours already).  I will check the bloomfilter after that.

> Out of curiosity, if I had much wider rows (ie. < 900k) per row, will compaction run
faster(errrr…upgradesstables) at all or would it basically run at the same speed.