From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: odd production issue today 1.1.4
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2013 19:31:41 GMT
There is always this old chestnut http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#ubuntu_hangs

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 16/02/2013, at 8:22 AM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com> wrote:

> With hyper threading a core can show up as two or maybe even four
> physical system processors, this is something the kernel does.
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Hiller, Dean <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov> wrote:
>> We ran into an issue today where website became around 10 times slower.  We found
out node 5 out of our 6 nodes was hitting 2100% cpu (cat /proc/cpuinfo reveals a 16 processor
machine).  I am really not sure how to hit 2100% unless we had 21 processors.  It bounces
between 300% and 2100% so I tried to a do a thread dump and had to use –F which then hotspot
hit a nullpointer :(.

>> I copied off all my logs after restarting(should have done it before restarting it).
 Any ideas what I could even look for as to what went wrong with this node?

>> Also, we know our astyanax for some reason is not setup properly yet so we probably
would not have seen an issue had we had all nodes in the seed list(which we changed today)
as astyanax is supposed to be measuring time per request and changing which nodes it hits
but we know it only hits nodes in our seedlist right now as we have not fixed that yet.  Our
astyanax was hitting 3,4,5,6 and did not have 1 and 2 in the seed list (we rollout a new version
next wed. with the new seedlist including the last two delaying the dynamic discovery config
we need to look at).