From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: what addresses to use in EC2 cluster (whenever an instance restarts it gets a new private ip)?
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 17:20:47 GMT
Cassandra handles nodes changing IP. The import thing to Cassandra is the token, not the IP.

In your case did the replacement node have the same token as the failed one?

You can normally work around these issues using commands like nodetool removetoken.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 12/02/2013, at 10:04 AM, Andrey Ilinykh <ailinykh@gmail.com> wrote:

> You have to use private IPs, but if an instance dies you have to bootstrap it with replace
token flag. If you use EC2 I'd recommend Netflix's Priam tool. It manages all that stuff,
plus you have S3 backup.

> Andrey
>

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Brian Tarbox <tarbox@cabotresearch.com> wrote:
> How do I configure my cluster to run in EC2?  In my cassandra.yaml I have IP addresses
under seed_provider, listen_address and rpc_address.

> I tried setting up my cluster using just the EC2 private addresses but when one of my
instances failed and I restarted it there was a new private address.  Suddenly my cluster
thought it have five nodes rather than four.

> Then I tried using Elastic IP addresses (permanent addresses) but it turns out you get
charged for network traffic between elastic addresses even if they are within the cluster.