From Viktor Jevdokimov <Viktor.Jevdoki...@adform.com>
Subject RE: Why do Datastax docs recommend Java 6?
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2013 06:45:10 GMT
A year ago they asked $10-12k per server – crazy people. With much lower price they could
sell much more.

There’s no advantage for such overpriced product for Cassandra, with some exceptions.

With RF>1 it is possible for client to early timeout the request and try on another replica.

For example, for our load, Young Gen GC pauses are ~150ms every 4-5 sec and requirement for
reads is <=40ms.
With RF=4 (average local reads are <1ms), we timeout in 10ms and try form other replica.
Requests are fulfilled by 1 node in 90%, by 2 nodes in 98%, by 3 nodes in >99%. SLA keeps
at 99.9%, while 98% is acceptable.
Sure we’d like to increase 10ms timeout on client per 1 node request keeping SLA >99%,
but it is impossible without Zing or something else.

We’d like to try latest JRockit JVM, which claims a better GC performance than HotSpot JVM.

Best regards / Pagarbiai
Viktor Jevdokimov
Senior Developer

Email: Viktor.Jevdokimov@adform.com<mailto:Viktor.Jevdokimov@adform.com>
Phone: +370 5 212 3063, Fax +370 5 261 0453
J. Jasinskio 16C, LT-01112 Vilnius, Lithuania
Follow us on Twitter: @adforminsider<http://twitter.com/#!/adforminsider>
Take a ride with Adform's Rich Media Suite<http://vimeo.com/adform/richmedia>

[Adform News] <http://www.adform.com>
[Adform awarded the Best Employer 2012] <http://www.adform.com/site/blog/adform/adform-takes-top-spot-in-best-employer-survey/>

Disclaimer: The information contained in this message and attachments is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee and may be confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are reminded that the information remains the property of the sender. You must
not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If you have received this
message in error, please contact the sender immediately and irrevocably delete this message
and any copies.