From "Ilya Grebnov" <i...@metricshub.com>
Subject RE: Why do Datastax docs recommend Java 6?
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 22:09:33 GMT
Also, what is particular reason to use Oracle JDK over Open JDK? Sorry, I
could not find this information online.

Thanks,

Ilya

From: Michael Kjellman [mailto:mkjellman@barracuda.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 7:29 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Why do Datastax docs recommend Java 6?

There have been tons of threads/convos on this.

In the early days of Java 7 it was pretty unstable and there was pretty much
no convincing reason to use Java 7 over Java 6.

Now that Java 7 has stabilized and Java 6 is EOL it's a reasonable decision
to use Java 7 and we do it in production with no issues to speak of.

That being said there was one potential situation we've seen as a community
where bootstrapping new node was using 3x more CPU and getting significantly
less throughput. However, reproducing this consistently never happened
AFAIK.

I think until more people use Java 7 in production and prove it doesn't
cause any additional bugs/performance issues Datastax will update their
docs. Until now I'd say it's a safe bet to use Java 7 with Vanilla C* 1.2.1.
I hope this helps!

Best,

Michael