From "Adam Venturella" <aventure...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Data Model - Additional Column Families or one CF?
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2013 01:51:15 GMT
Thanks Aaron, this was a big help!
—
Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 9:27 AM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com>
wrote:

> If you have a limited / known number (say < 30)  of types, I would create a CF for
each of them.
> If the number of types is unknown or very large I would have one CF with the row key
you described.
> Generally I avoid data models that require new CF's as the data grows. Additionally having
different CF's allows you to use different cache settings, compactions settings and even storage
mediums.
> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Developer
> New Zealand
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
> On 21/02/2013, at 7:43 AM, Adam Venturella <aventurella@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My data needs only require me to store JSON, and I can handle this in 1 column family
by prefixing row keys with a type, for example:

>> comments:{message_id}
>>
>> Where comments: represents the prefix and {message_id} represents some row key to
a message object in the same column family.

>> In this case comments:{message_id} would be a wide row using comment creation time
and descending clustering order to sort the messages as they are added.

>> My question is, would I be better off splitting comments into their own Column Family
or is storing them in with the Messages Column Family sufficient, they are all messages after
all.