From Wei Zhu <wz1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Why do Datastax docs recommend Java 6?
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 17:56:27 GMT
Anyone has first hand experience with Zing JVM which is claimed to be pauseless? How do they
charge, per CPU?

Thanks
-Wei

________________________________
 From: Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com>
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:07 AM
Subject: Re: Why do Datastax docs recommend Java 6?

Oracle already did this once, It was called jrockit :)

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/jrockit/overview/index.html

Typically oracle acquires they technology and then the bits are merged with the standard JVM.

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:13 AM, Viktor Jevdokimov <Viktor.Jevdokimov@adform.com> wrote:

I would prefer Oracle to own an Azul’s Zing JVM over any other (GC) to provide it for free
for anyone :)

>Best regards / Pagarbiai
>Viktor Jevdokimov
>Senior Developer
>
>Email: Viktor.Jevdokimov@adform.com
>Phone: +370 5 212 3063, Fax +370 5 261 0453
>J. Jasinskio 16C, LT-01112 Vilnius, Lithuania
>Follow us on Twitter: @adforminsider
>Take a ride with Adform's Rich Media Suite
>
>Disclaimer: The information contained in this message and attachments is intended solely
for the attention and use of the named addressee and may be confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are reminded that the information remains the property
 of the sender. You must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail.
If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and irrevocably

team in the world. Its still really the epicenter of all java vm development.

>________________________________
>
>From: "Ilya Grebnov" <ilya@metricshub.com>
>Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 14:09:33 -0800
>To: <user@cassandra.apache.org>
>ReplyTo: user@cassandra.apache.org
>Subject: RE: Why do Datastax docs recommend Java 6?
>
>Also, what is particular reason to use Oracle JDK over Open JDK? Sorry, I could not find
this information online.

>Thanks,
>Ilya

reason to use Java 7 over Java 6.

>Now that Java 7 has stabilized and Java 6 is EOL it's a reasonable decision to use Java
7 and we do it in production with no issues to speak of.

>That being said there was one potential situation we've seen as a community where bootstrapping
new node was using 3x more CPU and getting significantly less throughput. However, reproducing
this consistently never happened AFAIK.

>I think until more people use Java 7 in production and prove it doesn't cause any additional
bugs/performance issues Datastax will update their docs. Until now I'd say it's a safe bet
to use Java 7 with Vanilla C* 1.2.1. I hope this helps!

>Best,
>Michael
>
>From: Baron Schwartz <baron@xaprb.com>
>Date: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:21 AM
>To: "user@cassandra.apache.org" <user@cassandra.apache.org>
>Subject: Why do Datastax docs recommend Java 6?
>
>The Datastax docs repeatedly say (e.g.
http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.2/install/install_jre) that Java 7 is not recommended, but
they don't say why. It would be helpful to know this. Does anyone know?