From Jouni Hartikainen <jouni.hartikai...@reaktor.fi>
Subject Re: Bootstrapping a new node to a virtual node cluster
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 17:53:37 GMT

On Feb 12, 2013, at 18:58 , aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> Just checking if this sorted it's self out?

Well, partially. :) Situation at the moment:

>> 1) Is the new node not showing up in the "nodetool status" expected behavior?

Not showing still, don't know if should. :)

>> 2) Do I have to wait for all the data streaming to end until the new node starts
to accept writes? If yes, has this changed from 1.1? (I remember nodes becoming writeable
immediately after booting, but readable only after streaming has ended)

This does not seem to be the case. Writes are indeed relayed to the bootstrapping node during
the bootstrapping even if it is not shown as a part of the cluster.

>> 3) "nodetool info" on the new node raises an exception "Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.AssertionError at org.apache.cassandra.locator.TokenMetadata.getTokens(TokenMetadata.java:465)"
This is probably not normal?

Still an issue. Should probably file a bug on this one?

>> 4) Is it so that the virtual tokens for the new node are not assigned before the
data streaming ends? ("select * from peers;" on .11 returns null for the tokens of .14) If
so, how the existing nodes decide what data to stream to a new node?

By reading the code it seems that the tokens are indeed generated early in the bootstrapping
sequence and propagated (via gossip?) to the other nodes. However, I haven't still figured
out why they are not shown in the list of peers when querying using CQL.

FYI.. While playing with this I bumbed into a bug that prevents compactions from running while
a node is in the bootstrapping state: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-5244
Might be an issue at least for those running clusters with lots of data per node (= long bootstrap
times) and heavy write load (= lots of data to compacted).

Cheers,

-Jouni