From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra 1.1.2 -> 1.1.8 upgrade
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2013 10:05:37 GMT

You can always run them. But in some situations repair cannot be used, and in this case new
nodes cannot be added. The news.txt file is your friend there.

As a general rule when upgrading a cluster I move one node to the new version and let it soak
in for an hour or so. Just to catch any crazy. I then upgrade all the nodes and run through
the upgrade table. You can stagger upgrade table to be every RF'th node in the cluster to
reduce the impact.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 11/02/2013, at 8:05 PM, Michal Michalski <michalm@opera.com> wrote:

>> 2) Upgrade one node at a time, running the clustered in a mixed
>> 1.1.2->1.1.9 configuration for a number of days.
>
> I'm about to upgrade my 1.1.0 cluster and
> http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/install/upgrading#info says:
>
> "If you are upgrading to Cassandra 1.1.9 from a version earlier than 1.1.7, all nodes
must be upgraded before any streaming can take place. Until you upgrade all nodes, you cannot
add version 1.1.7 nodes or later to a 1.1.7 or earlier cluster."