From David Schairer <dschai...@humbaba.net>
Subject Re: Cassandra with SAN
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2013 23:52:13 GMT
"Who breaks a butterfly upon a wheel?"

It will work, but you'd have a distributed database running on a single point of failure storage
fabric, thus destroying much of your benefits, unless you have enough discrete SAN units that
you treat them as racks in your cassandra topology to ensure that you have data replicated
across redundant SAN shelves|controllers|etc.

You also would end up with redundancy at cross purposes in that the SAN will be striping data
that Cassandra is already distributing efficiently.

If the SAN is free and unused, it'll be fine as a Cassandra test platform.  But I wouldn't
spend a penny on SAN hardware instead of a much larger distributed cluster with commodity
hardware.  Derive your redundancy and performance from lots of hardware in lots of places,
not expensive hardware in one place.

--DRS

On Feb 21, 2013, at 3:42 PM, Kanwar Sangha <kanwar@mavenir.com> wrote:

> Ok. What would be the drawbacks J

designed so you don't need to have a large expensive SAN.

> Don't be tempted by the shiny expensive SAN. :)
>
> If money is no object instead throw SSD's in your nodes and run 10G between racks
>
> From: Kanwar Sangha <kanwar@mavenir.com>
> Date: Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:56 PM
> To: "user@cassandra.apache.org" <user@cassandra.apache.org>
> Subject: Cassandra with SAN
>
> Hi – Is it a good idea to use Cassandra with SAN ?  Say a SAN which provides me 8 Petabytes
of storage. Would I not be I/O bound irrespective of the no of Cassandra machines and scaling
by adding