Hi folks – I have a Windows 2008 server that I’m trying to get Cassandra working on.  I have disabled the Windows Firewall for the moment but I still cannot connect to the server.

I have tried editing the cassandra.yaml to update the listen_address to the machine address as well as blank or commented out altogether – no change found at all.

Any suggestion at all would be most welcome!

-steve

SERVER STARTUP

(* snip *)

INFO 13:58:47,161 Binding thrift service to localhost/127.0.0.1:9160

(* snip *)

LOCAL CLIENT

(default/localhost)

C:\Java\apache-cassandra-1.1.7\bin>cassandra-cli

Starting Cassandra Client

Column Family assumptions read from xxxxxxxxx\assumptions.json

Connected to: "Test Cluster" on 127.0.0.1/9160

Welcome to Cassandra CLI version 1.1.6

Type 'help;' or '?' for help.

Type 'quit;' or 'exit;' to quit.

[default@unknown]

(Success!)

LOCAL CLIENT USING IP ADDRESS

(connecting to localhost but using ip address)

C:\Java\apache-cassandra-1.1.7\bin>cassandra-cli -h xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Starting Cassandra Client

org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSocket.open(TSocket.java:183)

        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TFramedTransport.open(TFramedTransport.java:81)

        at org.apache.cassandra.cli.CliMain.connect(CliMain.java:79)

        at org.apache.cassandra.cli.CliMain.main(CliMain.java:255)

Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:351)

        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:213)

        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:200)

        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSocket.open(TSocket.java:178)

        ... 3 more

Exception connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/9160. Reason: Connection refused: connect.

Column Family assumptions read from xxxxxxxxxxx\assumptions.json

Welcome to Cassandra CLI version 1.1.6

I get the same result trying to connect from a remote machine.