I found that overall Hadoop input/output from Cassandra could use a little more QA and input from the community. (Especially with large datasets). There were some serious BOF bugs in 1.1 that have been resolved in 1.2. (Yay!) But, the problems in 1.1 weren't immediately apparent. Testing in my dev environment with 3000 records everything worked fine. 28 million records and distributed... Unfortunately things were not fine (until fixes in 1.2!)

It took a ton of debugging on my side, and for a while I told myself it was my fault when things weren't working.... :)

I would throw some debug stdout lines into a Hadoop MR build (unrelated -- when building Hadoop it still requires jdk5 for Forrest to build as of 1.0.3). Just start with a simple MR job that outputs the same thing to another CF gave as the input. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-4912 has a MultipleOutput job (should be easy to adapt to one CF to do testing pretty easily)

Also throw some debug into ColumnInputFormat obviously. Debugging Hadoop distributed while Cassandra is distributed too makes understanding the logic path really hard IMHO. I got lost in debugger hell and found stdout logging was the only real way to figure out what was going on.

We don't use wide rows, so I'm not much help with the root of your question, but I've debugged Hadoop with Cassandra quite a bit... Just just sounds like a bug to me not anything you are doing incorrectly. Anyone else in the community using wide rows and Hadoop?

QUORUM for us is consistent for ColumnInputFormat in 1.1 but again this is without wide rows.

Best,
Michael