From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: change cluster name retaining keypsace
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2013 00:14:42 GMT
That looks technically correct for pre 1.2, in 1.2 the name of the column has changed to cluster_name.

Note that you are diving into internals and that way be danger.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 12/01/2013, at 10:26 AM, S C <asf11@outlook.com> wrote:

> Aaron,
>
> Can this also be considered?
>
> Connect to node using cassandra-cli
> use system;
> set LocationInfo[utf8('L')][utf8('ClusterName')]=utf8('<new cluster name>');
> exit;
> Run nodetool flush on the node
> Update cassandra.yaml file with new cluster_name
> Restart node.
>
> Thanks,
> SC
>
> From: aaron@thelastpickle.com
> Subject: Re: change cluster name retaining keypsace
> Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:21:28 +1300
> To: user@cassandra.apache.org
>
> To change the cluster name:
>
> 1) Stop all nodes.
> 2) Delete  or move the LocationInfo sstables from /var/log/cassandra/data/system/LocationInfo
> 3) Change the cluster_name in cassandra.yaml
> 4) Restart the nodes.
>
> You cannot do an incremental change of the cluster name. All nodes in the cluster must
have the same name.

> By only deleting the LocationInfo CF your schema will be preserved. You do not have to
move / delete any of the user data.

> Hope that helps.
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Developer
> New Zealand
>
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 10/01/2013, at 6:50 AM, Tim Dunphy <bluethundr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
>  I'm attempting to change my cluster name, yet retain my keyspace as it was. I know from
what I've read that this requires changing it within the cassandra cli (using system), changing
it in the cassandra.yaml file, and deleting the contents of the /var/lib/cassandra/data/system
directory. Then restart cassandra.

>  This does work. I am able to change my cluster name this way. But of course, since I
deleted my system information I have lost all reference to my keyspace. My app does not work
and a show keyspaces within the cassandra-cli does not show the keyspace. This does make a
certain amount of sense to me as I realize that the system kesyspace directory does contain
information on the keyspaces within this cassandra node.

> So what I did was create a snapshot of my keyspace (joke_fire1)  with the command nodetool
-h localhost -p 7199 joke_fire1.

> I then re-create the keyspace within the cassandra cli and copy just the .*db files back
to the keyspace directory. But that doesn't work a describe keyspace does not show my column
families and my app doesn't work.

> I even tried creating a tar archive of the keyspace directory and then rsyncing the entire
contents of the tar archive to the keyspace directory after creating the keyspace with the
same name in the casssandra-cli. Still no good.

> I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to change my cluster name and yet either
retain or restore from backup properly my keyspace as it was before the cluster name change.