From Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: VNodes, Replication and Minimum cluster size
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 14:32:57 GMT
"The key advantage of vnodes in this case is that you do not need to
manually rebalance the cluster when adding or removing nodes."

Well, I thing that a bigger "key advantage" of vnodes would rather be the
performance improvement due to the evenly distributed load while streaming
data.

But it indeed simplify cluster balancing even if you have an heterogeneous
cluster with different hardware for each node.

Anyways, this is well described here:
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/virtual-nodes-in-cassandra-1-2

Alain