From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: How many BATCH inserts in to many?
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2013 03:57:56 GMT
With regard to a large number of records in a batch mutation there are some potential issues.

Each row becomes a task in the write thread pool on each replica. If a single client sends
1,000 rows in a mutation it will take time for the (default) 32 threads in the write pool
to work through the mutations. While they are doing this other clients / requests will appear
to be starved / stalled.

There are also issues with the max message size in thrift and cql over thrift.

IMHO as a rule of thumb dont go over a few hundred if you have a high number of concurrent
writers.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 14/01/2013, at 12:56 AM, Radim Kolar <hsn@filez.com> wrote:

> do not use cassandra for implementing queueing system with high throughput. It does not
scale because of tombstone management. Use hornetQ, its amazingly fast broker but it has quite
slow persistence if you want to create queues significantly larger then your memory and use
selectors for searching for specific messages in them.