From Wei Zhu <wz1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: General question regarding bootstrap and nodetool repair
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 23:31:02 GMT
One more question though,
I tried to replace a node with a new node with the same IP, Here is what we did:

* drain the node
* check nodetool on other nodes, and this node is marked down (the token for this node is
100)
* clear the data, commit log, saved cache on the down node.
* change initial_token from 100 to 99 in the yaml file
* start the node
* check nodetool, the down node of 100 disappeared by itself (!!) and new node with token
99 showed up
* checked log, see the message saying bootstrap completed. But only a couple of MB streamed.

* nodetool movetoken 98
* nodetool, see the node with token 98 comes up.
* check log, see the message saying bootstrap completed. But still only a couple of MB streamed.

The only reason I can think of is that the new node has the same IP as the "dead" node we
tried to replace? After reading the bootstrap code, it shouldn't be the case. Is it a bug?
Or anyone tried to replace a dead node with the same IP?

Thanks.
-Wei