Hi

I think he was talking about the "fragmentation" of the snapshot. In cassandra 1.0.X all ColumnFamilies are in the same directory, but in cassandra 1.1.X each ColumnFamily is in its own directory, and snapshots of each ColumnFamily are inside this directory.

1.0.X Snapshot directory:
/cassandra/data/<KeySpace>/snapshots/<cassandra_bkup_files>

1.1.X Snapshot directory
/cassandra/data/<KeySpace>/<ColumnFamily>/snapshots/<cassandra_bkup_files>

In 1.0.X you can restore a Keyspace backup by copying just one directory. In 1.1.X it seems you need to copy one directory for each ColumnFamily, which is a little more complicated.