Assuming you need to work with quorum in a non-vnode scenario. That means that if 2 nodes in a row in the ring are down some number of quorum operations will fail with UnavailableException (TimeoutException right after the failures). This is because the for a given range of tokens quorum will be impossible, but quorum will be possible for others.

In a vnode world if any two nodes are down,  then the intersection of vnode token ranges they have are unavailable.

I think it is two sides of the same coin.