From: Hiller, Dean [mailto:Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:57 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Primary/secondary index question / best practices?

Hard to help out on a design without specifics but here is some advice based on the limited information

Primary key : yes, must be cluster unique.  TimeUUID or UUID….PlayOrm has very unique TimeUUID like keys as in this one 7AL2S8Y.b1 (b1 is the hostname and the prefix is a "unique" timestamp but generated to a shorter string(ah, nice readable primary keys).

There are some patterns you can look into here that may help https://github.com/deanhiller/playorm/wiki/Patterns-Page

If you can partition your data virtually, it may help a lot so you can query into the partitions.

Later,

Dean