From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Data backup and restore
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2012 20:11:44 GMT
I wrote a script to sym link the snapshots together the other day https://github.com/amorton/cass_snapshot_link

I've not really used it in anger yet. That is to say I wrote it for fun and it worked on my
mac book. If you use it let me know if it works.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 5/12/2012, at 6:51 AM, Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodrime@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Adeel,
>
> I am not sure this is the best solution but we did it this way:
>
> On one production server :
> - $cassandra-cli -f show_schema > schema (show_schema file contains "use <myKeyspaceName>;
show schema;")
> - Then open the schema file and remove headers lines, your file must start by "create
keyspace..."

> On one dev server
> - Copy the schema file
> - $cassandra-cli -f schema
>
> Now you have your keyspace in your dev env.
>
> if you have 1 node dev cluster and RF=total number of node in production, then simply
snapshot whatever you want to restore (CF or all keyspace) then copy these files in the CF
directories of your test cluster and refresh the new sstables.

> if RF < total number of node in production then you need to take the sstable from
various nodes and take care not overriding files with the same name while copying files.

> I have some bash/parallel-ssh scripts to do this, but not on this computer.
>
> I would be glad learning how other people do this.
>
> Alain
>

> 2012/12/4 Yang <teddyyyy123@gmail.com>
> my guess (from what I learnt on this forum): you probably have to manually create the
schema on the new cluster. shutdown new cluster. overwrite the column family files with your
backup on all nodes in the new cluster, then boot up.

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Adeel Akbar <adeel.akbar@panasiangroup.com> wrote:
> Hi Tomas,
>
> You are right and now my question is how I restore on test cluster. Do I need to create
column families and then copy snapshot on each directory?

> Thanks & Regards
>
> Adeel Akbar
>
> On 12/4/2012 9:09 PM, Tomas Nunez wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I think he was talking about the "fragmentation" of the snapshot. In cassandra 1.0.X
all ColumnFamilies are in the same directory, but in cassandra 1.1.X each ColumnFamily is
in its own directory, and snapshots of each ColumnFamily are inside this directory.

>> 1.0.X Snapshot directory:
>> /cassandra/data/<KeySpace>/snapshots/<cassandra_bkup_files>
>>
>> 1.1.X Snapshot directory
>> /cassandra/data/<KeySpace>/<ColumnFamily>/snapshots/<cassandra_bkup_files>
>>
>> In 1.0.X you can restore a Keyspace backup by copying just one directory. In 1.1.X
it seems you need to copy one directory for each ColumnFamily, which is a little more complicated.

>> 2012/12/1 Tyler Hobbs <tyler@datastax.com>
>> The nodetool snapshot command has keyspace and column family options (from nodetool
--help):

>> snapshot [keyspaces...] -cf [columnfamilyName] -t [snapshotName] - Take a snapshot
of the optionally specified column family of the specified keyspaces using optional name snapshotName

>> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:40 AM, Adeel Akbar <adeel.akbar@panasiangroup.com>
wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I have Cassandra 1.1.4 cluster with 2 nodes. I need to take backup and restore on
staging for testing purpose. I have taken snapshot with below mentioned command but It created
snapshot on every Keyspace's column family. Is there any other way to take backup and restore
quick.

>> /opt/apache-cassandra-1.1.4/bin/nodetool -h localhost snapshot -t cassandra_bkup
>>
>> Snapshot directory:
>> /var/log/cassandra/data/<KeySpace>/<subfolder/snapshot/cassandra_bkup
>>
>> --
>>
>> Thanks & Regards
>>
>> Adeel Akbar
>>

>> --
>> Tyler Hobbs
>> DataStax
>>

>> --
>> <Mail Attachment.jpeg>
>> www.groupalia.com
>> Tomàs Núñez
>> IT-Sysprod
>> Tel. + 34 93 159 31 00
>> Fax. + 34 93 396 18 52
>> Llull, 95-97, 2º planta, 08005 Barcelona
>> Skype: tomas.nunez.groupalia
>> tomas.nunez@groupalia.com
>> <Mail Attachment.png> Twitter    <Mail Attachment.png> Facebook    <Mail
Attachment.png> Linkedin