From "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hil...@nrel.gov>
Subject Re: Primary/secondary index question / best practices?
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2012 21:56:43 GMT
Have to help out on a design without specifics but here is some advice based on the limited
information

Primary key : yes, must be cluster unique.  TimeUUID or UUID….PlayOrm has very unique TimeUUID
like keys as in this one 7AL2S8Y.b1 (b1 is the hostname and the prefix is a "unique" timestamp
but generated to a shorter string(ah, nice readable primary keys).

There are some patterns you can look into here that may help https://github.com/deanhiller/playorm/wiki/Patterns-Page

If you can partition your data virtually, it may help a lot so you can query into the partitions.

Later,
Dean

From: "Stephen.M.Thompson@wellsfargo.com<mailto:Stephen.M.Thompson@wellsfargo.com>"
<Stephen.M.Thompson@wellsfargo.com<mailto:Stephen.M.Thompson@wellsfargo.com>>
Date: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:49 PM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Primary/secondary index question / best practices?

m my reading, it seems like I need a UUID column that will be my primary index, and then I
should set up secondary indexes on the 8-10 primary search columns.  Am I understanding this
correctly?  Any advice you can offer on this would be tremendously helpful.  I’m quite limited
in how specific I can be about the data, of course.