From santi kumar <santi.ku...@gmail.com>
Subject Cassandra on EC2 - describe_ring() is giving private IPs
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2012 10:32:36 GMT
We have a 4 node cluster in us-east region in two different AZ's. Clients
connect to this cluster from our datacenter which is not on AWS.

Hector clients are initialized with public DNS names, then listern_address
is with private ip and rpc_address is with 0.0.0.0.

Having issues with Node Auto Discovery by Hector. When it's trying to
discover the ring, the end points are initialized with private IP's for all
Token Ranges. It checks with the existing hosts (which are initialized
public DNS) and thinks that there is a new node got added to the cluster.

looks like describe_ring() is the one which provides the details. Though I
configured the listen_address with public dns, still I had the same issue.

Any idea, what is the best way to configure for EC2. Have gone through the
link
https://docs.google.com/document/d/175duUNIx7m5mCDa2sjXVI04ekyMa5bdiWdu-AFgisaY/edit?hl=en

But not sure whether it's fixed in 1.1.4. When I run the nodetool ring, it
gives the private ips. But in the above doc, it shows the public IPs as
part of nodetool ring.

Some insight into this is really helpful.

Thanks
Santi