From Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Data backup and restore
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2012 17:51:10 GMT
Hi Adeel,

I am not sure this is the best solution but we did it this way:

On one production server :
- $cassandra-cli -f show_schema > schema (show_schema file contains
"use <myKeyspaceName>; show schema;")
- Then open the schema file and remove headers lines, your file must start
by "create keyspace..."

On one dev server
- Copy the schema file
- $cassandra-cli -f schema

Now you have your keyspace in your dev env.

if you have 1 node dev cluster and RF=total number of node in production,
then simply snapshot whatever you want to restore (CF or all keyspace) then
copy these files in the CF directories of your test cluster and refresh the
new sstables.

if RF < total number of node in production then you need to take the
sstable from various nodes and take care not overriding files with the same
name while copying files.

I have some bash/parallel-ssh scripts to do this, but not on this computer.

I would be glad learning how other people do this.

Alain

2012/12/4 Yang <teddyyyy123@gmail.com>

> my guess (from what I learnt on this forum): you probably have to manually
> create the schema on the new cluster. shutdown new cluster. overwrite the
> column family files with your backup on all nodes in the new cluster, then
> boot up.
>

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Adeel Akbar <adeel.akbar@panasiangroup.com
> > wrote:
>
>>  Hi Tomas,
>>
>> You are right and now my question is how I restore on test cluster. Do I
>> need to create column families and then copy snapshot on each directory?
>>

>> Thanks & Regards
>>
>> *Adeel** Akbar*
>>   On 12/4/2012 9:09 PM, Tomas Nunez wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>>  I think he was talking about the "fragmentation" of the snapshot. In
>> cassandra 1.0.X all ColumnFamilies are in the same directory, but in
>> cassandra 1.1.X each ColumnFamily is in its own directory, and snapshots of
>> each ColumnFamily are inside this directory.
>>
>>  1.0.X Snapshot directory:
>>  /cassandra/data/<KeySpace>/snapshots/<cassandra_bkup_files>
>>
>>  1.1.X Snapshot directory
>> /cassandra/data/<KeySpace>/<ColumnFamily>/snapshots/<cassandra_bkup_files>
>>
>>  In 1.0.X you can restore a Keyspace backup by copying just one
>> directory. In 1.1.X it seems you need to copy one directory for each
>> ColumnFamily, which is a little more complicated.
>>

>> 2012/12/1 Tyler Hobbs <tyler@datastax.com>
>>
>>> The nodetool snapshot command has keyspace and column family options
>>> (from nodetool --help):
>>>
>>> snapshot [keyspaces...] -cf [columnfamilyName] -t [snapshotName] - Take
>>> a snapshot of the optionally specified column family of the specified
>>> keyspaces using optional name snapshotName

>>>  --
>>> Tyler Hobbs
>>> DataStax <http://datastax.com/>
>>>

>>  --