From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra on EC2 - describe_ring() is giving private IPs
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2012 22:04:39 GMT
> Though I configured the listen_address with public dns, still I had the same issue.
Internally the public DNS resolves to the private IP.

> looks like describe_ring() is the one which provides the details.
describe_ring() returns includes the registered RPC addresses for the nodes. Trying setting
the rpc_address to the public IP.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 11/12/2012, at 11:32 PM, santi kumar <santi.kumar@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have a 4 node cluster in us-east region in two different AZ's. Clients connect to
this cluster from our datacenter which is not on AWS.

> Hector clients are initialized with public DNS names, then listern_address is with private
ip and rpc_address is with 0.0.0.0.

> Having issues with Node Auto Discovery by Hector. When it's trying to discover the ring,
the end points are initialized with private IP's for all Token Ranges. It checks with the
existing hosts (which are initialized public DNS) and thinks that there is a new node got
added to the cluster.

> looks like describe_ring() is the one which provides the details. Though I configured
the listen_address with public dns, still I had the same issue.

> Any idea, what is the best way to configure for EC2. Have gone through the link
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/175duUNIx7m5mCDa2sjXVI04ekyMa5bdiWdu-AFgisaY/edit?hl=en
>
> But not sure whether it's fixed in 1.1.4. When I run the nodetool ring, it gives the
private ips. But in the above doc, it shows the public IPs as part of nodetool ring.