From Ben Hood <0x6e6...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Batch mutation streaming
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2012 18:18:29 GMT
Thanks for the clarification Andrey. If that is the case, I had better ensure that I don't
put the entire contents of a very long input stream into a single batch, since that is presumably
going to cause a very large message to accumulate on the client side (and if the message is
being decoded on the server site as a complete message, then presumably the same resident
memory consumption applies there too).

Cheers,

Ben

On Dec 7, 2012, at 17:24, Andrey Ilinykh <ailinykh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Cassandra uses thrift messages to pass data to and from server. A batch is just a convenient
way to create such message. Nothing happens until you send this message. Probably, this is
what you call "close the batch".

> Thank you,
>   Andrey
>

> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 5:34 AM, Ben Hood <0x6e6562@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like my app to stream a large number of events into Cassandra that originate
from the same network input stream. If I create one batch mutation, can I just keep appending
events to the Cassandra batch until I'm done, or are there some practical considerations about
doing this (e.g. too much stuff buffering up on the client or server side, visibility of the
data within the batch that hasn't been closed by the client yet)? Barring any discussion about
atomicity, if I were able to stream a largish source into Cassandra, what would happen if
the client crashed and didn't close the batch? Or is this kind of thing just a normal occurrence
that Cassandra has to be aware of anyway?